Week 1: Done

So sorry I haven’t blogged in a while.

I’ve been adjusting to my new schedule and sightseeing and walking all over the city, etc. Anyway,  I’ve added new photos to my Picasa album, if you haven’t checked it out.

NBC (so far)

Last Thursday was my first day with NBC. Basically, they showed me how to operate an Avid, which was pretty overwhelming, and explained how and where they upload the video clips. My head was pretty full of information, but luckily they told me that I should feel like my brain was about to explode.

My supervisor, Kim, is really nice along with everyone else in NBC Mobile. From what I’ve learned, NBC Mobile is relatively new (maybe about four or five years old) and therefore, still kind of under the radar. But it is getting more attention especially with this new focus on digital media. I feel great to be a part of something like it.

To be honest, I was very intimidated to learn all of this video editing stuff. I’ve shot and edited some video before in my reporting classes, but not to this extent,  AND it was done using the Final Cut Pro/Express software on Macs. The Avid is much more keyboard-oriented than what I’m used to, but I think already I’m adjusting.

Besides editing on my first day, I also went down to a small studio a couple floors down called the Nook. It’s in the same hallway as the studios for Nightly News (pretty sweet). Anyway, down there we film short “buzzes,” like an entertainment buzz, weird news buzz, etc. Basically, it’s either a short update, or an interview with someone of importance, or a small newscast- you get the idea. When I go down there, I help set up the camera and lights.

Coincidentally, also on my first day, the guy in Mobile who does most of the interview/buzz updates asked me to go along with him on an interview so I’d see what they were like. Well, that day he walked down to the NBC Experience Store to interview Moby. So, it was pretty cool to meet a celeb/singer on my first day. I don’t think I’ll mind that part of this internship.

The second day definitely gave me a better sense of what my shifts are going to be. In the morning, I’ll cut and upload Today show updates – one at 8 a.m. and one at 9 p.m. and send it out to our mobile carriers. Then, I scan MSNBC for interesting stories, speeches, anything really to be also cut and sent out to our carriers. (The first day I felt pretty cool- I sent out Obama’s speech in Cairo, Egypt and his speech the second day after he had visited concentration camps in Germany). Also throughout the day, I help with whatever else. At 9 a.m., 12 p.m., and 3 p.m., I set up the Nook for updates.

I know it’s normal, but I felt annoying because I was asking so many questions on Friday. Of course, everyone was very helpful and nice. I was feeling a bit more comfortable using the Avid by the end of the day, but still, I hope I get the hang of it soon.

Oh, apparently I can go up to see the SNL set! One of the guys in the Mobile department asked if I had done that yet and then said I could go up there as long as I had my ID . . . and if I didn’t steal anything. I can’t wait. I don’t know when I’ll do it, but hopefully it’ll be soon.

First weekend of a summer in the city

After I got off on Friday, Megan, Ryan and I went to the MoMA (free admission on Fridays- whoo hoo!). We met up with a friend from KU. He just graduated from KU and worked on the Kansan with Ryan and I. Right now he’s living in Brooklyn and is interning for his brother’s art gallery.

The museum was amazing – of course! My favorite part was the Jackson Pollock gallery, but we definitely didn’t see the whole museum. I can’t wait to go back. Maybe I won’t go on a Friday though. There were a TON of people, which is just weird to me in a museum. Strangely enough, it’s not as enjoyable to me. *You can check out some pics from the museum in my Picasa album*

Other events of the weekend included a tram ride to Roosevelt Island, a trip to Brooklyn (and walking over the Brooklyn Bridge), a visit to Dylan’s Candy Bar, a trip to Ground Zero, Trinity Church and Wall Street. Also, tonight we went to the Taste of Times Square, which was fun. You could buy tickets and then use them at different tents where various restaurants were serving food. I had ribs (surprise, surprise) and banana fosters cheesecake. Yummmmmy.

Also, I should mention that we met up with our *before-mentioned* friend, Tyler, in Brooklyn. His brother’s art gallery was showing some short films produced by artists. It was fun. They showed the films in a parking lot on some semi-trucks’ trailors. It’s strange how different Brooklyn is from Manhattan, but I loved it. It was quiet and quaint. I definitely want to go back.

Most, if not all, of the things that we did can be found in the Picasa album. Also, if you’re interested. You can get Ryan’s photographic perspective on NYC from his blog. Check it out. It’s pretty great.

I think that’s all for now. I’ve got NBC tomorrow from 1-7 p.m. I’ll be there Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from now until August 6. My next task is to find a PAYING job. Bath & Body Works isn’t looking so bad right now. I’ve talked to them some. Tomorrow I think I’ll go by. Wish me luck.

Anyway, love to all. Leave comments or email me or call me anytime. 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s